Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hello

I will be looking at allusion in Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I will cite various biblical, historical, and literary allusions in the novel and discuss the novel's relationship to and view of the past with respect to history and literature.

To do this, I will refer to Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession: the Recollections of a Rogue, which is a non-fictional memoir of Chamberlain's time with John Joel Glanton's gang of scalphunters. This source was most likely used by McCartLinkhy in his writing of Blood Meridian.

I will also cite parallels between Blood Meridian and Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, and various biblical, and poetic influences.

I will be pondering the following questions:

What is the novel's relationship to American and literary history?

What is McCarthy implying through his usage of literary, biblical, and historical allusion?

Basically i've written a long, winding, aimless essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment